Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Starship Troopers - Mobile Infantry

OK, let's face it - the "Starship Troopers" franchise of movies was not Oscar material, but it was FUN. I recently "found" the CGI/"Synthespian" movies which sort of picked up where the live action movies left off. I was particularly impressed by the older Colonel Johnny Rico - A lightly scarred face has always been a major turnon for me, and his behavior in the "Starship Troopers - Traitor of Mars" movie was completely over the top as the grizzled, take-no-prisoners military man and was really a guilty pleasure.

I've also always really been impressed by sci-fi body armor - Master Chief from HALO, the suits from Pacific Rim, the N7 armor from the "Mass Effect"games - and Johnny's Mobile Infantry armor here was no exception - realistically functional, with that extra bit of automation as it as it molds to the wearer. 



So I decided to try to do a Johnny Rico.

For the mask, I used my N7 Shepard "Chiseled" from Studio135 - not quite the scars on the reference pics, but close, and I found a guy on Etsy that could make the Federation eyepatch. For the wig, I contacted my long-time (and gorgeous, by the way) wig maker and she was able to put a Johnny wig together for me.

For the armor - I had to improvise. And as far as below-the waist, I had no idea at the time of the photoshoot. Armor-wise, though, you can never go wrong with Dainese motorcycle armor - put it on and Presto!!! "Instant Hero".


On my list (among many other things) is getting a "Johnny Rico" mask that's much closer to the reference pic. Not sure if the existing companies have one, but R&D is always one of the most fun parts of becoming someone else!


Reference pic #1 from "Starship Troopers - Traitor of Mars"








Reference pic #2 from "Starship Troopers - Traitor of Mars"






No comments:

Post a Comment