Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Photo Study #4 - Conviction

By now, most of you have probably heard about the young Asian guy wearing an SPFX Elder mask to claim refugee status in Canada:



Besides a multitude of other reasons, this guy is a moron - how could you get a mask like that and wear it that poorly?


If you're going to do something, do it well.

I have my Player mask, and I was always a bit annoyed that there was a little bit of skin peeking out around the eyes and if I closed my eyes, you'd see those caucasian eyelids. Plus, I have light colored eyes which also didn't quite add credence to the illusion I wanted to create.

So I screwed my courage to the wall and got some foundation makeup and contacts. I've had more than my share of eye infections and other problems, so I was very hesitant about putting anything near or in my eyes. But if I was going to be a dangerous looking black man, I needed to look the part!

I got myself an official orange prison jumpsuit and had the sleeves lengthened to accommodate the silicone sleeves. ("Standard" jumpsuits have short sleeves, for obvious reasons) I put the brown contacts in, applied the makeup around the eyes and then slipped on the mask.

This masking experience was amazing and frankly, unnerving - I really felt that a hard-core black convict (perhaps indicted for murder or rape or some other violent crime) was staring back at me.

I truly accomplished a complete (albeit impermanent) transformation.


No comments:

Post a Comment