Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2023

A Proportional Response - Part I - First Thoughts

On more than one occasion, I've received comments on my videos or my pics about my head looking too big for my body (one of the nastier comments was "That looks like one massive head...almost like a South Park character.") But I never noticed anything truly off.

Until I looked at some of Seb Taylor's pics and watched his IG videos. There really was a tremendous difference when he wore a mask with (and without) a muscle suit beneath. I truly could see the difference that that added thickness made in restoring proportion to the overall illusion. I will admit though that my pics always did look a little better with a padded muscle shirt beneath.

 

So I decided to buy a muscle torso (with arms and without stomach) from Smitizen. This will be my second purchase from them (I had originally purchased a muscle torso with short sleeves and color matched to my Knuckles mask).

 Torso Specifics

  • It weighs about 12lbs.
  • Unlike the interior honeycomb design of the newer and larger enhanced torso and legs, this is a SOLID piece of silicone. 
  • Because it is SOLID, there are no issues of actually seeing the honeycomb through the surface, as occurs on the legs/lower torso and to a lesser extent, on the upper torso.
  • It is very easy to put on (but you need lube)
  • The neck is quite long and very stretchy. But thin.
  • The arm length is PERFECT. The length is just above the wrist-bone. The forearm area of the sleeves are thin. If you are familiar with CFX gloves, the thickness here is about a half of those items; this area - along with the neck area - is also slightly translucent because of the thinness of the material. Similarly thin silicone - like CreaFX masks - is not translucent.
  • Forearm area is nice and tight and there is no wrinkling at the wrist; however, there is a little bit of wrinkling at the elbow when you bend the arm; I was specifically looking for the issue, but it's not too obvious.
  • I did not go for the "careful crafting service" option where the flashing on the seams is reduced. I figure that if I go for a repaint, I'll have that done at the same time.

Remember, if you are trimming a silicone torso (or a mask's silicone bib)...

  1. Always trim less than you think; you can always cut more, but not less.
  2. Measure more than once and cut on a flat surface using a solid piece of wood (like a wooden yardstick, a piece of wide wooden molding or a piece of a 2x4) to press the silicone flat and hold it in place; use a utility knife or a single-edge razor blade with a brand-new blade. 

Application

As with any Smitizen product - upper or lower body - you are going to need LUBE. Not powder. I have never tried the alcohol process of lubrication, so if any readers have tried this, I would really appreciate some feedback (and perhaps a video link!). Make sure you use a water-based (not silicone-based) lube. I use Gun Oil H20 in a squeeze bottle.

  • Apply the lube to the inside back of the torso. Be generous, but don't overdo it. Over-apply the first time you try it on - you can judge what you will actually need afterwards.
  • Apply lube to your chest and shoulders. Don't overdo it - you want a consistent thin layer on your skin.
  • Apply a LINE of lube down your arm - shoulder to wrist - and then rub it around so again you have a thin, consistent layer.
  • Pull the torso over your head, and slip your arms in. Adjust the sleeves so the seams are straight. They should be on the inner and outer sides of your arm.
  • Pull the torso down over your pecs - you're done!

Other Thoughts

I need to trim the neck down by about an inch. As far as masks go, I have to see how the various bibs lay on the torso (I want to avoid seeing two sets of nips). Of course, I think I'm going to need some larger pullovers/shirts as well...

Stay tuned for upcoming posts - trimming, video reviews and more!


No comments:

Post a Comment