Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Video Study #2 - Cadaverous

Skull Masks are easy to find.
Truly good ones are not.

I had high expectations when Unit 70 came out with their skull mask. The company has enjoyed a very high reputation in the haunt/animatronic market and when I got the mask, my first thought was "WOW!" The "standard" mask came with a US Army helmet and scraggly scalp hair. I wanted my "plain."

Upon closer examination the mask however, I was less impressed with it than I was when I received it. The base color of the mask is white, so the coverage of the paint job is very important to cover the silicone. Sadly, there were numerous spots under the jaw and in other parts of the mask that had deep pockets that the paint either did not "take" or was missed.



As readers here know, I have a lot of masks, so I know how to properly take care of them and know how to prevent stresses on the mask itself when putting it on or taking it off. The second time I put the mask on, the seam in the neck popped open.

The seams and flashing are not quite up to par with Immortal, Shattered, Realflesh or CFX - the folks at Unit 70 do a good job of painting around them to make them disappear but they are still noticeable if you are looking for them. I wonder if their full mesh encapsulation process is in part responsible for the tear; the area of the rip felt considerably thinner than the surrounding area. The other consideration is that I had asked for the mask without the helmet, so perhaps that detail is not something ordinarily paid much attention to.

And the mask is thick. Doesn't feel too heavy on, and you're not expected to have the range of movement of a realistic, but it is a bit stiff.

One thing I really do like is the way the eyes were done - the holes are deep-set enough to completely hide your eyes without having to resort to contacts or makeup.

Lip cupping is acceptable- not anywhere near the work of Bryan Silva or Ian Marier - the mask did not have ear holes and surprisingly, did not have nose holes

You are forced to breathe through your mouth. I cut some tiny breathing holes in the nose area, but because the base is white silicone, this required me to touch up the inside with a brown Sharpie to prevent the white cut area from showing.

Fortunately, Unit 70 Customer Service was excellent. After I explained what happened, I was told in no uncertain terms to ship it back for replacement. They even covered the return shipping. And they listened to the critique I had on their Mark I.

So I was pleasantly surprised with the Mark II. The folks are still on the mask learning curve, but I can see that they will be a good vendor. The ability to listen to and respond to customer concerns is a hallmark of a good company, and they did that.

The Mark II paintjob was much improved, but the actual quality of the mask was a little sub-par. There were several areas that felt very thin to me. Now, perhaps I was being a bit paranoid after the first ripping incident, but I shored up the thin areas with GE Silicone 1 and power mesh and let it cure for a day before trying it on.

Nose holes were included this time (which was good) but the lip cupping on the mask felt a bit slacker (which was not so good). Overall, I'm happy with the Mark II, but I would probably still wait a bit longer for purchasing another mask from the company.



No comments:

Post a Comment