Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stinger - Part VII - Union

CHARLIE

With my arms braced on either side of his shoulders, I stared down into the face of my  husband. Emerald eyes looked back up at me and his sensuous lips – surrounded by his silky beard - quirked up in a happy smile.

"What wicked thoughts are running through your mind, amor?"

"Well, besides the normal ones whenever I look at you, Mattie … I'm just thinking that you're all mine." My legs straddled his; our crotches ground together and I could feel how hard Mateo was – just like myself.

"I was yours the first day I saw you in your uniform in front of Starbucks, sweetheart…" Mateo raised a hand and brushed my face. His fingers lingered as they stroked around my lips. "Now and forever, Charlie…"

I lowered myself slowly onto the man beneath me and felt a bolt of electricity as our  naked torsos came together. Lips touched and Mateo slid his hands through my hair and pulled me hard down to him. Damn, he's gotten strong. I didn't know how much time we spent just kissing, but he could have done it forever.

I, however, had some other plans in mind.

I sat back on my haunches and began to undo Mateo's belt.

"What are you doing?"

I gave my partner-for-life a delightfully evil grin. "What do you think?" I unzipped Mateo's pants  and pulled them down to expose a royal blue leather jockstrap straining (and failing miserably) to contain a cock swollen with need. The head of his dick peeked above the pouch and was weeping copious amounts of pre-cum. I pulled the jock off and stroked my hands along his muscular legs before giving the manhood in front of me a slow lick. I was happy to see that he was also wearing a steel cock ring. Mattie moaned.

I continued to lave his shaft the same way one would lick a particularly rich and delicious ice cream cone, nibbling as I went along and savoring each mouthful. Mattie began to thrash and claw at the comforters beneath him as I watched his shaft grow larger, harder and more purple with need. I opened my throat and took him down to the cockring in one movement. I set up a steady rhythm that echoed the beat of my own heart; all at once, I felt the mushroom head in my throat expand further. Mattie arched his back and screamed as I felt the explosion of my Greek's hot seed down my throat. After sucking him dry, I laid my head down on the shredded abs of my lover.

He stroked my hair. "Oh God … oh God … " Mateo panted. "Oh, shit … Oh, Charlie … I … I don't think I can stand up …"

I began to kiss the hard-muscled mesas beneath me. "Well, after the reception and tonight, sweetheart,  I'm afraid you're not going to be able to sit down, either…"

* * *

MATEO

After getting ourselves presentable once more – thanks to a young monk and use of the monastery's shower -  we arrived back at the villa. The reception – at least the cocktails - was underway and the crowd outside cheered as we exited the car. Hand in hand, we went inside.

"Holy shit …" Charlie stopped and looked around. In the space of only a few hours the interior of the villa had been transformed. Huge sprays of white flowers – jasmine, lilacs, stephanotis and Casablanca lilies – were placed in angular blue and white vases with geometric Greek designs perfumed the air. A large bar was set up across the room  and several tables covered in blue and white cloths with golden accents were heaped with food. The guests – about 200 of them – were circulating about. The smell of roast lamb and other foods were intoxicating. I had a bit more of an idea than Charlie since Chara couldn't keep a secret, but this was extraordinary.

"Well, there they are! The groom and the groom!" Orestes and Hector came up to us. My cousin handed his drink to his lover and nearly jumped into Charlie's arms. His bright white smile was a stark contrast against his darkly tanned skin. My policeman was showered with kisses.

Hector stood back and looked at me. "You don't look too disheveled, exádelfos…" [cousin, ed.].

"Fluffy enough for you?" Ori's eyes were twinkling.

"You BOTH are swine!" I laughed as I wrapped an arm around Charlie. "I can't believe the villa looks so different in such a short time … it's incredible."

"Well, the wedding planner Damien hired did most of the work. The guys he has on his crew are amazing! Wait till you see the dance floor and tables!"

The four of us moved further into the house; Charlie and I were congratulated and hugged by everyone we met. My husband still looked a bit overwhelmed; he was still trying to get his arms around my huge extended family; thank God he could speak Greek now – although how he managed that was still a mystery to me. Hector was grabbed by a large, matronly woman and rolled his eyes as he was tugged away.

"I saw Dante and Enrico around – tight security, Ori?"

Galinis nodded his head. "Plus more. Amongst others, we've got a few heads of state, the Patriarch, a crime syndicate boss and a Saudi prince."

Ori must have enjoyed the shocked look on my face. "Oh, the Saudi prince is Charlie's. He doesn't appear to need protection, though. It's his CO's brother's partner - he looks like he could break someone in half … "

One of his guards caught his eye. "…excuse me, fellas. I'll be back." The chief of security threaded his way through the crowd and disappeared. We continued our meet and greet with the guests; even I didn't know some of them.

"Liebchen! There you are!"

We turned around to see a slightly chubby woman with a beatific smile on her face. She had short, honey-blonde hair and merry blue eyes.

"Tante Dotty!" She grabbed my face and pulled me down for a somewhat sloppy kiss. I always loved her German accent. She then turned to Charlie.

"My, what a handsome young man!"
Charlie blushed. "You two are so fortunate to have found each other! You must come and visit me!"

Charlie gave her a bright, sweet smile. I could tell that Tante was already falling in love with him.  "We'd love to, Tante …" Her eyes were already filling with tears of happiness as he hugged her. "Mattie is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'll save you a dance later on …" He gave me a wink. "Perhaps you'll tell me some deep,  dark secrets about him … something I don't know already…"

She laughed. "And you're the best thing that's happened to him … I'm sure that you haven't seen all of his baby pictures … or his carrot costume?" Both of them laughed at the stricken look on my face. "…but you should get back to your guests." She patted Charlie's cheek. "Until later, Knuddel …"

After she disappeared into the crowd, Charlie turned to me. "Sweet lady … who was that?"

I gave him a grin. "You met her on the reception line outside the church. That's Angela Merkel. The Chancellor of Germany."

* * *

CHARLIE

Mattie and I walked to the upper level of the villa and strolled into the dining/dancing area. Damien's home abutted a natural amphitheater and he made excellent use of it. Off to the side I could see that a large band area had been set up, as well as some pretty extensive electronic equipment – and if memory served me right, there was a large MOOG synthesizer as well.

Again – blue, white and gold decorations dominated; the airy atrium had bright white canvas shading the area from the strong Greek sun and crystals strung along the edges glittered and moved, drawing attention to our wedding cake and the raised dais behind it.

Damien was talking with Colonel Morgan and a drop-dead handsome Arab that must have been his partner. Outside of the Colonel, Travis, Uncle Danny and RIG, I didn't know any soldiers at The Castle; but I think that was a safety precaution for all involved. Both of the men had deep bronze tans and their loose shirts only accentuated the powerful muscular bodies beneath them. The Arab had thick black hair and his square jaw was covered in razor-cut designer stubble.

"God, what fucking studs …" Mattie breathed. He turned to me with wide eyes, blushing. "Oh, shit Charlie – did I actually just say that?"

I slid a hand into one of his back pockets and kissed his ear. "Yeah … so if you bring one  home, we both do him like we did Ricky…" Mattie's eyes widened in happy shock as we approached the group.

Our movement caught the Arab's attention and a bright white smile lit up his face. He murmured something and Damien turned to face us – arms open wide.

Mattie and I were enveloped in a crushing embrace and Damien showered us both with kisses.

"Everything meets with your approval?"

"Yes, Uncle – everything is beautiful!" Damien beamed.

Colonel Morgan grinned at us. Even though they were twins, between my CO and the commandant of the Castle, Tyler was the more easygoing and casual of the two. "I don't think you two have met Sid – Charlie, Mateo – this is my partner – Major Siddig Bin Talal."

"Tyler and the Prince have been extolling your virtues, Charlie! Almost as much as your police captain!" I blushed again beneath my tan.

Sid rolled his eyes. "Damien, forget all the 'Prince' crap – it's just 'Sid' – Congrats, Charlie!" and hugged me. Whatever was up with the soldiers in The Castle must have followed them here; my sex drive started to redline and I felt my cock slithering down my leg. The Arab prince felt my hardness and gave me a knowing wink as he let me go. He gave Mattie an equally impressive embrace and I watched him redden as he reacted the same way. Tyler snaked a powerful arm around my waist and gave me a soft kiss on the cheek. We both grinned at Mattie's discomfiture.

"Mr. Kriatos … we're ready to start the festivities … and congratulations to the two of you! I apologize for not greeting you sooner, but I was rather busy with all the preparations."

I turned to see a tall, dark-haired young man with a closely cropped black beard approach us. I wondered if he was a plus-one from The Castle since I could feel my dick begin to leak just looking at him. Then I noticed Colonel Morgan and Sid were responding to him the same way. Obviously not. As he drew closer, I could see he had the most amazing violet-blue eyes surmounted by heavy, but well-sculpted dark brows. Diamond studs glittered rainbow bright in his ears and I had the near-uncontrollable urge to run my fingers through that sable hair gleaming darkly in the Greek sun.

Kriatos grinned. "This is Viktor Hexxen, the wedding planner … he arranged for everything that you've seen so far!"

"I do hope everything is to your liking, Charlie, Mateo … but what you've seen is only the tip of the iceberg as far as my plans for you two. There's more …"

His voice was like velvet and maddeningly familiar for some reason; looking the way he did, though, I know I would have remembered meeting him before.

"…so much, much more … " Hexxen gave me a bright smile; and just for a heartbeat,  his eyes gleamed a deep gold and I saw small, bone-colored horns on his forehead. He gave me a wicked smirk and a knowing wink.

Carreau!

Do you think I would let anything or anyone fuck up your wedding day? His voice laughed in my mind and curled around my spine to caress me like the softest fur.

Hexxen gave the five of us a slight bow. "If you'll excuse me, I have some details to attend to … I'll see you later. You should start heading towards the dais."

* * *

After a slight hubbub, the guests - as well as those on the dais (me, Mattie, Damien, Uncle Danny, Gabril, Hector and Ori) were settled down for the festivities. An army of waiters - in crisp white shirts and black pants - began to deliver the food. Hot and cold appetizers were served first - feta and graviera (soft cheeses), baskets of still-warm fresh bread and loads of dips (tzatziki, scordalia, and melitzanosalata) along with fried zucchini, eggplant and peppers along with mezedakia (greek sausage) and keftedakia (meatballs) sauteed in wine sauce with fresh lemon - and were piled high on each table. My mouth was watering as the aromas swirled around me.

Damien leaned over to me and squeezed my thigh. His eyes were twinkling. "This is just the beginning, Charlie. Pace yourself. There's going to be a lot of dancing afterwards, too."

I smiled back. Damn, I was so happy. "Yes, sir - I mean,  Uncle ..." He kissed me on the forehead and turned to talk to Uncle Danny.

After a bit, the next course showed up - horiataki (salad).  These were fairly large bowls packed with romaine, tomatoes, feta cheese, red onions, olives and stuffed grape leaves. There was a balsamic vinegar dressing that was sweet, sour and tangy at the same time.

Damien stood up and tapped his fork against his wineglass. The guests quieted.

"Twenty-six years ago, my nephew Mateo was born. Twenty-five years ago, he came into my life after a tragic accident took my sister Calista and her husband Henrique away from him. 

Mateo has been like a ray of warm sunlight on my soul from the first day I held him in my arms.  Eleven months ago, a young policeman in New York found that special place in Mateo's heart and Charlie Hawke is everything I could have asked for - a handsome, brave, generous and honorable man that is the perfect match for Mateo. 

And today ... today, they have become one, joined in the sight of God as well as all of you. Now, he begins a new life and there will be another man to whom he will turn for love and protection. But I want them both to know their uncle will always be there for them. So, please raise your glasses and join me in toasting the happy couple ... to Mateo and Charlie - my nephews - may God continue to bless them and grant them safety, love, and happiness all the days of their lives."

The applause was resounding and many of the people stood up and cheered. Among those standing were Cap Morgan, Jamie, Tony and all the guys from the Castle. The surprise was Chancellor Merkel. She was up too and clapping like mad. She blew both of us a tremendous kiss with both hands.

* * *

The main course was as amazing - plates and plates of  kebobs, spring lamb, swordfish, flounder, salmon, as well as moussaka and pastitsio - kept appearing in a never-ending cascade of food. I had an amazing appetite and yet, I didn't feel full. Neither did Mattie. Or apparently any of the guests. I guess I had Carreau to thank for that.

We received another standing ovation when we finally got around to cutting the cake. Mattie and I sliced into the multi-tier confection and we got a big laugh from the room as we smeared the white and blue frosting all over each other's faces. What I didn't know was that Sonia Hong had also baked cakes for each table; every guest got a slice from their own white and blue cake.

I mentioned before that Damien had quite an electronic collection for the entertainment. As it turned out, there was a DJ as well as a live band. And singers. As they were setting up, my mouth dropped open and I grabbed my husband's hand.

"Mattie! Look over there! Is that who I think it is?"

Mateo shock mirrored my own. Beyonce Knowles sashayed up to the dais and gave each of us a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Hi boys ... congrats on the wedding!" She put delicate hands on her slim hips and a wicked smirk crossed her lovely cafe-au-lait face. "I think you're gonna love the music for your first dance together!" She glided back to the band area and picked up a microphone

"Ladies and gentlemen ... please welcome the new couple - Mateo and Charlie Castilion-Hawke - in their first dance together."

She motioned to the band. "At Last" began. Several of the violins started playing. Then the piano. Finally, the saxophone player joined in.
At last
My love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
I took Mattie's hand and we left the dais. I took him in my arms as we began to move slowly around the floor. Every time I held him was heaven; I looked into his verdant eyes. "Oh, Mattie - I'm the luckiest guy in the world."
Oh yeah yeah
At last
The skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clover
The night I looked at you

"I could drown in those blue eyes of yours, amor ..." and laid his head on my shoulder. My fingers intertwined with his as we held each other moving to the music.
I found a dream, that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Oh yeah yeah
You smiled, you smiled
Oh and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
for you are mine...
At Last ...
The final note of the saxophone died away; Mattie took my face in his hands and our lips met in a soft kiss. There was a moment of silence and then the applause broke like a tsunami over us.

* * *


There was a lot of Greek dancing as well. Particularly the Kalamatiano and the Tsamiko. 

The Kalamatiano is a lively, 12-step, open circle dance and it's usually the first dance to occur at celebrations, particularly in Greek communities outside of Greece - which in this case, was about half the guests. There was also plenty of time to get comfortable with the steps because the band liked to play 15- to 20-minute marathons of this music.

The Tsamiko was, by contrast, a much slower, open circle dance. Damien, the person leading the circle,  performed various tricks (fygoures), while the rest of the circle followed a simple 12-step routine.

After a break where everyone was catching their breath, the band started playing a tango and Mattie leaned over to whisper in my ear. "I owe Tante a dance, amor … I'll be back." He got up from the dais and walked over to the chancellor. She actually blushed when he put out his hand and guided her onto the terrazzo.

She was good - amazingly good - but Mattie was even better. I licked my lips as I watched his tight ass and powerful legs glide around the tiles. I felt a ghostly caress across the back of my neck.

Charlie, come out to the veranda for a moment, please?

I stood up and excused myself.

* * *

Carreau was leaning against the stucco wall, with his arms hooked over the railing. He had dropped his illusion of mortality; the inhumanly handsome face and golden eyes smiled at me as his lips curled into a happy grin inside the well-trimmed goatee. His dark hair tumbled over the russet skin and the small, pale  horns on his forehead. The sun was dipping towards the horizon, tinting everything with a soft, aureate glow. The fallen angel straightened up.

"Having a good time?" He opened his muscular arms and I walked into them. It always felt so good to be in his embrace. He stroked my hair and I snuggled into his hug.

"Having a great time – thank  you for everything, Carreau. I still can't believe it's all real."

"Charlie, you're one of the few mortals I take this much interest in … which is both a good thing and a bad thing."

"How so?"

His grin grew even wider. "My boss wants to see you."

* * *

I felt my heart climb into my throat. "S-Satan?"

Carreau looked as shocked as I felt. "Of course not!" A tumbler of scotch appeared in his hand. "Here – drink this." He gave me an abashed look. I took it with shaking hands and gulped it down. The glass refilled by itself.

"Charlie … oh, God, I didn't mean to frighten you – I am SO sorry about that – it was never my intention to do anything to upset you … after we first met, did you do any research on me?"

I sipped the drink and shook my head.

He took a deep breath. "I'm basically a free agent, Charlie. No longer quite perfect enough for Heaven and not damned enough for Hell. I am … was … a prince of the Order of Powers. Do you remember anything about the different types of angels from Sister Maryann's class?"

I was feeling calmer now. "A little … how do you know about Sister Maryann? Oh … Bobby…" Of course … my guardian angel reported to him now.

He nodded. "Powers are the ninth Order of angels belonging to the third angelic Choir. We act as protectors, guardians of peace and order, basically like the angelic police force to ensure order over creation. We came into being after Lucifer's Fall."

"You're a cop?"

He gave me a lopsided grin. "More or less. We maintain the laws set in motion by the higher orders of Angels and through God's Will. We're the information gatherers and providers throughout existence. We can work through human's sixth sense and sometimes act as warning angels – so when you get a bad feeling about something, it's usually one of them doing it. My guys just haul you away from danger and smack you upside the head for being stupid."

Carreau continued. He put his arm around my waist and we started to walk. Whenever he held me I always felt calmer. "We're considered to be warrior angels, completely resolute and ensured to not fall victim to the same weaknesses of Lucifer's ilk. We're supposed to be Heaven's best line of defense against all Diabolical activities, and we concern ourselves with human welfare against the forces of Evil. Unfortunately, since our major concern is with humans, we're subject to a whole different set of weaknesses."

"You keep saying 'we', Carreau … what gives? Are you really a fallen angel or not?"

The demon prince grew somber. "My work is mostly on the side of the angels, Charlie, but it would be a dangerous mistake to think me still one of them... But let me continue. Powers are also tasked to safeguard the passageways between realms to ensure the safety of mortals. Because of the proximity to the byways of Hell itself, a lot of angels in my order have Fallen. We just see too damn much, Charlie. It tears us apart. It destroys us. A lot of them wind up working for me; a smaller number Fall completely."

We stopped. "Before I was Cast out, I was Lord Captain of the Heavenly Host - second only to the Supreme Commander of the Host himself."

That last statement sank in and the realization hit me like a sledgehammer between the eyes.  I stopped dead in my tracks. Carreau's serious, jewel-bright eyes looked into mine. His dark brows arched.

"Does this meeting make more sense now, Charlie?"

I was almost as frightened as before. "Your boss … your boss is … was … is ... the Archangel Michael…"

A sparkling grin split the russet face. "Got it in ONE… and though I haven't been officially working for him for quite a few millennia, I still think of him that way … c'mon – he's waiting for us."

* * *

We turned a corner and there he was. The archangel had been leaning on the railing and looking out to sea. He turned to face us.

Just to give you a basis of comparison, I'm a hair short of six feet tall; Carreau is about a foot taller than me. Michael was huge – he was easily at least eight or nine feet tall and every inch of that heroic frame was packed with muscle. And from the bulge in his crotch, he was definitely, unmistakably male.

Pale golden skin was partially covered by a sleeveless homespun shirt half open to the waist to expose slabbed pecs and an eight-pack set of shredded abs; I could make out some blackwork tattoos running across his chest, but couldn't make out what they were. Sigils of some sort. A tight pair of jeans covered powerful legs and leather gauntlets wrapped around his wrists. Soft dark boots hugged his calves. Wow … nice to see he's into leather too.

He had hair the color of burnished bronze streaked with gold and his eyes were the same jewel-bright pale aurium as Carreau's. Vast white feathered pinions rose over his head and spread out behind his back. If it was possible, he was even more inhumanly handsome than the demon prince.

He looked determined and somewhat grim. Sort of like Cap when he had to dress down a patrolman.

"Hey boss, here we are!" Carreau slipped an arm around my waist and I was glad for that show of affection; I was scared to death to be the presence of the Being in front of me.

"Charlie, I'd like to introduce you to Michael, Archistrategos – Lord Commander of the Heavenly Host. Boss, this is Charlie Hawke." He nodded at me, but didn't say anything.

"H-hello, sir …" I stammered. How do you address an archangel?

Carreau looked at me. "Charlie, we have a little bit of a jurisdictional problem here …"

"Huh?"

"To maintain Equilibrium …"


Michael interrupted. "HE DOESN'T NEED THE DETAILS CARREAU." The archangel's voice was like the tolling of great bells and the power in that voice staggered me. I think without Carreau's arm around my waist, I would've fallen down.

The fallen angel arched a dark eyebrow. "He deserves all the information he needs to make a decision, boss. And don't be such a tightass. It's his wedding day, after all."

Michael's jaw tightened and his eyes blazed. But only for a moment. The fleeting anger was replaced by a wry grin. "YOUR UNINHIBITED CANDOR IS SORELY MISSED WITHIN MY COUNSELS, CAPTAIN ... PRAY, CONTINUE."

Carreau grinned and picked up where he left off. "Because of my gift to you, Charlie, the cosmic balance is a little out of whack at the moment. As representative of the Almighty, my old boss is here to offer you one too…"

The shock must have been apparent on my face. "Now ... exactly about what is on the table…"

Michael grew angry again. "ENOUGH!!!" The ground trembled.

The fallen angel was nonplussed and held up a russet hand. "Sorry, boss – full disclosure. I don't hold back information from any of my clients. This mortal in particular."

Carreau's face grew serious. "You have carte blanche to ask for anything Charlie. ANYthing. There's no such thing as a mortal or deadly sin this time. No harm, no foul. No strike against you. Any fetish you want to indulge in, any iniquity you want to try out. You can have wealth, power, even immortality. It's your choice."

My head spun. I turned to the archangel. "Is this true, sir?"

The golden head gave a curt nod and his great white pinions rustled in agitation. "YES. ALTHOUGH I AM NOT PLEASED. YOU MAY EVEN ASK FOR SOMEONE THROWN INTO THE MAW OF HELL ITSELF AND I MUST ABIDE BY AND EXECUTE YOUR DECISION."

Jesus Christ. I thought about it. I really didn't need money – I had enough even before marrying Mattie; power – I always think about that old saying about power corrupting; and immortality … well, forever is an awfully long time. Unless I could share it with my husband.

"I can't ask for something to share with someone else, can I?"

The archangel gave me an odd look and shook his head. "NO, THE GIFT MUST BE YOURS AND YOURS ALONE."

All of a sudden, the words of my Joe Ramsey – my FTO – came to mind. "Hawke, you're a baby cop. You don't even know what you don't know yet. The only thing that's gonna change that is time. And experience. And it's my job to knock some sense into that head of yours so you'll be around long enough to pay that forward to another baby cop in the future."

I swallowed hard. "I've made my choice."

"I …"

Carreau looked at me and trailed gentle fingers down the side of my face. "Go ahead, Charlie. Tell Michael what you want."

"… I swore an oath to serve and protect those who need my help. I want the ability to make the best decision in any situation. And the courage to carry it out."

The fallen angel raised his brows. "That's it? You're sure about this, Charlie?"

The more I thought of it, the more I knew I was making the right choice. "Yes."

"No eternal life and eternal youth? No ability to kill with a thought?" He gave me one of his delightfully wicked smirks that lit up his entire face. "No ability to fuck someone into everlasting submission?"

"Nope. Final decision." Despite the knot in my stomach, I laughed.

A strange look passed between the two angels.  A wide smile split Carreau's face.

"See? I TOLD you he was a Boy Scout!"

A grin split the Lord Commander's visage. It was like the sun bursting out from behind a bank of heavy,  dark clouds.

"I WAS WRONG TO DOUBT YOU, CARREAU. MY APOLOGIES."

He turned to me. "KNEEL BEFORE ME, CHARLIE." I got down on one knee and bowed my head.

A flaming sword appeared in his hand. He lowered it gently to tap me on one shoulder and then the other. "DESPITE THE SCOPE OF TEMPTATION - AND THE UTTER LACK OF CONSEQUENCES FOR ANYTHING YOU MAY HAVE CHOSEN - YOU ASKED ONLY FOR AN UNDERSTANDING MIND AND HEART ABOVE ALL ELSE. FOR THAT, IT SHALL BE GIVEN TO YOU."

I looked up and smiled at him. He stretched out a hand to help me to my feet.

Carreau cleared his throat. "Charlie, I want to catch up with Michael a bit … you should head back to the reception before you're missed. Oh, and ask the Chancellor for a dance once she's recovered from Mateo's tango. She likes the Laendler."

* * *

CARREAU

"Nice touch with the sword, boss … " I leaned against the low wall and lit a cigarette.

The archangel replied. "Well, I could not bestow upon him something already given by you. Merely enhance and perfect the gift itself. How were you so certain of what he would ask for?"

I gave him a quirky grin as I took a final drag on the cigarette and flicked it over the side. "I'm an excellent judge of character…"

Michael shook his head. "How I miss that puckish smile of yours..." Michael cocked an eyebrow and shook his head. "I do not know how you accomplished it, Carreau – but I DO know you tricked me down here for this meeting."

I grinned at him and gave him an innocent look. "Boss – it's the art of diplomacy – getting the other person to do what you want and make them think it's their idea in the first place. Now … who else would the Almighty send when I'm involved, huh??"

I brushed a lock of hair back from my horns. "Besides, I wanted to see you again. There isn't a day goes by when I don't ache for you."

He looked ashamed. My eyes hardened. "Boss, I told you before I was banished, and I'll say it again – you didn't do anything wrong. You didn't abuse your authority and you didn't take advantage of me. I wanted to be with you. I still do. I always will."

"And, I'm claiming the wager on my bet." I put my arms around him and laid my head on his chest. Damn, that felt good.

The archangel put an arm around me and pulled me closer. The other reached up and stroked my hair. I relaxed into his embrace.

"Oh, Carreau – you and you alone of all the Fallen may return to Heaven … is it so much to swallow your damnable pride and admit the error of your decision? Do you not wish to be at my side once more as much as I? Oh, by the Gates of Heaven itself, holding you again in my arms is nearly too much for me to bear."

I looked into the sad golden eyes. I felt a tear run down my own cheek. "Boss, I didn't do anything wrong. I took the punishment for doing the right thing and I've accepted the consequences. I've done more good here than I would have ever done Above. And even if I did lie and say I was wrong, if something similar happened again, I'd do the same thing as before."

I pulled myself tighter into his embrace. "Shit … you make it so hard to stay resolute…" I stroked his wings and felt him tremble at the gentle caresses.

Time seemed to stand still as we held each other. After a while, I smiled up into his face. "Hey – want to join the party for a bit? I'm sure Charlie and Mateo won't mind …"

* * *

CHARLIE

I was in a thoughtful mood as I rejoined the celebration. My head was still spinning after meeting Michael. As I went over to the bandstand; the guy at the MOOG caught my eye.

"Can you play a Laendler for me?"

"Of course, Mr. Hawke. No problem."

I looked at him closely; the illusion wavered and I could see that he was also a fallen angel. He was a younger version of Carreau: amazingly handsome, clean-shaven with a faint shadow on his jawline, russet skin, dark hair and pale gold eyes. I got an even bigger smile as he realized I was seeing him as he truly was.

"Thank you for the music - you're great on the synthesizer. What's your name?"

He gave me a slight bow. "I'm glad you're enjoying it. My name is Agares, sir. And I thank you for the compliment. Languages are a specialty with me. Music included."

I walked over to the Chancellor. She was speaking with her husband when I cleared my throat. The band began to play a flourish.

"Chancellor? May I have this dance?" I put out my hand. She blushed as she stood up and took it. I spun her around a few times as we moved to the center of the dance floor. I nodded to Agares and the music began.

Angela looked surprised. "The Laendler?"

I gave her a 100-watt grin. "Of course!"



The Sound of Music - Maria and the Captain dance the Ländler from Adriana LS Swift on Vimeo.

I gave her a sweeping bow; she returned with a full curtsy. I then took her hand and we stepped down the dance floor in 3/4 time. I took both of her hands and we step-hopped down the terrazzo. She was beaming.

Then, still holding her hands, we turned underneath each other. I held her hand as she pirouetted around the floor.

Coming out of the spin, I took her other hand and we promenaded side by side on the tiles. I could see the astonished looks on the guests' faces as we flawlessly completed each spin and turn. This wasn't an easy dance, but I was doing it as if I had done it all my life. Thanks Carreau.

Angela and I continued the spins and turns holding each others hands. I then spun her away. I began to clap in time to the music as she danced around me and swished her skirt. I then danced around her, still clapping my hands.

I wound up in front of her and she put her hand out over my shoulder. I took it and brought her in front of me. Holding our hands above our heads, I wrapped my other arm around her as we looked into each other's eyes and slowly spun around. "Mein Gott, Charlie, you have such beautiful eyes ... Such a deep blue ... and with golden flecks ... it's like dancing with an angel!"

That statement surprised me. Golden flecks? 

Carreau's voice whispered in my mind. No one remains unchanged after meeting Michael, Charlie... particularly after you've been knighted...

We switched hands and spun in the opposite direction. I gave her bright smile.

"Tante ... you dance divinely!!"

"Oh, Knuddel ... I haven't danced the Laendler since I was a young girl, but it's all come back to me so easily! But you ... how do you know it so well?"

Whoops. "Well, I know Mattie is very special to you, and I wanted to make a good impression."

We continued the dance until the music slowed and stopped. I held her hand as she curtseyed to the applause of the crowd. In the back of my head, I was thinking how I was going to explain what I just did.

* * *
A full moon hung heavy in the sky and combined with a generous sprinkling of stars, Damien's villa was awash in a silvery glow. With the exception of my guys from the precinct and the Castle, all of the guests had departed; the place was getting cleaned up, the catering materials packed and everything was winding down. Mattie and I had been out on the upper level, holding hands, staring out at the wine-dark sea. Now we were heading back down the stairs and inside, to spend our wedding night together.

Mattie grinned as he slid a hand into the front of my pants and gave me a squeeze. "From the looks of it, amor, I guess I WILL have trouble sitting tomorrow!" He pulled me to him and gave me a deep kiss. "I can't wait!"

We reached the hallway where our bedroom was. Mattie pushed me against the wall. He gave me a mock serious glare.

"First, it was speaking fluent Greek all of a sudden and then it was dancing like a professional with Tante today doing an German folk dance that a Greek band knew how to play perfectly ... what's going on, Charlie? Did you get three wishes from a genie?"

I couldn't tell him about Carreau; hell, I couldn't tell him about Michael either. So I did the next best thing.

I kissed him. Hard. "Yep. And the third wish came true too. Having you as my husband and spending the rest of my life with you!" I laughed as I grabbed him by the waistband of his pants with one hand and turned the knob on the bedroom door with the other. I pulled him in.

"Well, it about time you two showed up ..." came a drawl from within the room.

Mattie and I stopped dead in our tracks. Carreau - in the form of Viktor Hexxen - was standing by the sliding glass door to the terrace in nothing but a towel wrapped loosely around his trim waist. He stood partly in shadow; the light from the moon and a single halogen in the ceiling served as the only illumination.

He had shaved off his beard leaving only a small goatee and had spiked his hair up with gel. His body was amazingly muscled and both arms sported elaborate blackwork tattoos. He turned and gave us a wicked grin. The towel dropped to the floor.

"I happened to overhear your comment about double-teaming ... well, let's see what you've got!" 

He grabbed us by our belt buckles and pushed us onto the bed.

* * *

Wow, this was harder to write than I thought! Charlie and Mateo's reception was something I wanted to do, but the actual details needed a good deal of thought and preparation. It's also been a miserable few months in work - too much to do, too many morons unable to make decisions and everything taking slower than it should. 

Because of work, I just hadn't been in the mood to write the story - or any story, for that matter - and writing something poorly just to get it done isn't what I wanted to accomplish. I figured it was better to hold off.

One thing that also kind of threw me for a loop was an idea I had about Danny actually being Charlie's father, instead of his uncle. That was sort of lodged in my head for a while, with lots of complicated relationships, deaths, adoptions, etc. Eventually, I discarded the idea because it was not only difficult to grasp and to write, it was also somewhat ... pedestrian. Having a plot twist like that was like something you'd see on an LMN movie of the week. 

As I sat down to do this, I found I really needed to channel David Tutera to get the work done. A wedding - and particularly a reception - takes a LOT of work. Also, some things just happen to stick in my mind like a splinter and I had to get them into the story. Angela Merkel is a perfect example. I don't know why I wanted her in this, but I did. 

I also wanted to do a little backstory on Carreau. The order of Powers is considered an angelic police force, and really ... who better to watch over Charlie Hawke than another cop? I also felt that Carreau must have had some involvement with the Heavenly Host, and by extension, the Archangel Michael. Carreau is a tragic hero, and I wanted to give a glimpse into his own sorrows.

I have to say that this particular story arc has been fulfilling, but not always easy - just like a good relationship. I'm sure that Charlie and Mateo - as well as the rest of the crew - will make an appearance again. However, I have plenty of more stories in my head that I want to explore!



No comments:

Post a Comment